Aubergine, Aubergine

So, as I excitedly posted earlier: more planted seeds germinated. I was waiting for chili to germinate before announcing that the eggplants seedlings had emerged because, for some reason, I am more excited about growing chili.
This post is about starting the eggplants, they being the first to germinate and all.
Now is a good time to start aubergines, a crop that grows well in containers and that, in warm conditions like Egypt's, will also grow as a perennial - so, I guess if they fail to produce fruit, mine can always function as ornamental plants, provided they make it successfully to the transplant stage. Here I share how they are faring so far; you will also find a factsheet in the same format as the previous one.

A trivia fact about aubergines: Egypt is the world's third largest eggplant producer, with an amount of 1.25 million tons produced in 2009 (FAO). Personally, I am no big fan of the fleshy vegetable (a staple in most Egyptian kitchens), but have always found its glossy deep-colored fruit (a berry actually, botanical classification) somewhat intriguing. This is mostly why I am excited about growing eggplants.

I had planted the seeds under the same conditions described in this post. Under such, the germinated seeds emerged just one week after planting.


Before you start to plan growing your eggplants, it is important to note that a grown eggplant will need at least a 45-cm-diameter growing space; it will require a sunny spot where it can get plenty of light, and, in a container, it will require regular, consistent, relatively heavy watering. If you can accommodate for that, you are practically ready to start your own aubergines this season.

Check out this factsheet - you can also launch a full-page view here - for all the key information you would need for planning to grow and starting aubergines from seed (I will be following it up with another one focusing on the grown eggplant):



As I mentioned above, under the described conditions, my aubergine seedlings emerged exactly one week after planting. These seedlings are quite different from zucchini and cantaloupe; in size, shape, and texture: they are more delicate, spear-shaped rather than round, and not at all succulent.

Unfortunately, the eggplant seeds I had came in one of those sparingly labeled packets, and there was no information about the variety I am planting on it. But I'm always happy to let myself be surprised.

updates on aubergine seedling growth and progress will follow