New Seedlings: Presenting the Solanaceae Family

On June 15, the first eggplant seedlings emerged. Big news in this blog's world.
Only my excitement was damped a little by the fact that my chili seeds (sown on the same day and under the same conditions as the eggplants) had not germinated yet. I had somehow always known eggplants and peppers to be related (they are in fact from the same family) and therefore wrongly assumed that they take the same germination period.

I was relieved to learn that chili, peppers in general, does have a longer germination period than eggplants. However, I still wouldn't post an announcement until the eggplant seedlings were joined by chili. And today I am happy to announce that this morning I spotted a couple of emerging chili seedlings, eleven days after their planting.

Coming up are posts about starting chili and eggplant seeds that will contain factsheets in the same format as the previous ones. Eggplants and chili grow well in containers, so if you are looking to grow your own container vegetable garden, here's a crop to start.