Courgette, Courgette

So, as per my last notification, my zucchini seedlings emerged on June 12, four days after planting. I can happily state that, so far, all seeds sown are progressing exactly as they should be; I don't know if this is because starting these seeds is a foolproof business, or because I am doing it right. For the case it is the latter, here is a post about my experiences starting zucchini from seed so far.

In this post, you will find a factsheet in the same format as the previous one. In addition to the details about starting the seeds and their progress, the post also includes photos of the seedlings and some observations about zucchini as a container garden crop.


First, as the novice farmer that I am, I must quite wide-eyedly remark how big and how fast the zucchini seedlings grow. I didn't reckon with that; had I known it, I would perhaps have opted to plant the seeds directly in the plant's designated large container. I discuss this in more details below.


When you check the factsheet embedded below, you will find that there isn't a remarkable difference between cantaloupe and zucchini in terms of their seed starting requirements and growing conditions (after all, they are from the same family). This is why I will not be including many details about starting the seeds. Also because they successfully germinated under exactly the same conditions I describe and discuss in the post about cantaloupe germination; if you want to start your own zucchinis and would like to know more details about how I went about starting mine, check out that post.
Otherwise, I think you will find sufficient information in this factsheet:



As I mentioned above, I am surprised by the size and growth rate of the zucchini seedlings. I didn't direct-sow them because I wanted to ensure a good rate of germination, and controlling the environment under which the seeds germinate is more easily done with the small mobile seed pots.
I am not regretting this decision because the seeds have grown into wonderful seedlings so far; however, I find myself fearing that - due to their size and growth rate - they will outgrow their restricting pots, and that I will have to transplant them at too young an age before they are strong enough to withstand the shock.

But I realize that either way there is a little challenge, something to learn: if I direct-sow them, I learn about germinating the seeds under more challenging conditions - if I start them in pots, I learn about transplanting the seedlings under more challenging conditions (I will be publishing a post about transplanting the seedlings and caring for the young plants soon).
And I am also finding myself wanting to start some vegetable raised beds earlier than planned, originally a longer-term larger-scale plan for when I have established by balcony container garden, to cater to the large number of seedlings I might eventually end up with.

I am excited about needing to make larger steps towards my planned urban farming project. And I am excited about growing mature zucchini plants from the seedlings, and am more accepting of the idea of maybe losing some of them to learn just that.

updates on zucchini seedling growth and progress will follow