Spearmint dies in freak accident, and other news.

The cut spearmint stems are no more: A little over a month ago I had posted about how well the cut spearmint stems were doing.
Up to the time of their death, they had occupied a glass jar that adorned a glass shelf positioned above my cactus arrangement, where the cut stems were thriving and shooting beautiful healthy roots. On July 17, the neighbors' kid's football hit the glass shelf, which gave way under the sudden blow, dropping the glass jar. The spearmint stems met their premature demise on the thorny surface of the barrel cactus (Echinocactus grusonii).

After an unplanned posting hiatus, I am not so fond of having this post be an obituary of spearmint, and I think it will be difficult to draw any gardening lessons out of this incident (except maybe not to position tender plants over thorny cacti?); however, I wanted to tell this story because I am sad for the loss of the plants, and because, well, over this past time and since taking up gardening I am slowly learning to accept and embrace setbacks - and there will always be some, regardless of their cause and nature - the same way I get excited about progress, such is life I guess.

Meanwhile, I am also getting ready to transplant a number of seedlings (yes!) - I will be posting about both my successes and failures in starting the various seeds, and I am excited to be working on a number of other relevant entries for the blog; so,stay tuned.
For now, I leave you with a close-up of the wonderful four-week old spearmint roots - next time you are buying some fresh mint sprigs, I encourage you to stick one in water, it will readily start shooting roots and growing: