Herb Garden, Interrupted - A Revisit

It has been well over a couple of weeks since I started my container herb garden, and I had been so looking forward to following up on that first post with updates of my then-presumed would-be-lush garden.
Regrettably, this is not the case - it is a bumpy road to herbal abundance: the spearmint seems infested with one or likely more diseases and/or pests, and I (gasp) caused the thyme to dry out for fear of overwatering it.
Nonetheless, I am hoping the garden and I will rebound soon from our loss.
In this post I describe the problems I faced (introducing a couple of new plant pests), my recovery efforts so far (introducing a propagation technique), and also update on aspects that are pleasantly going on track.

I will start with my plants' bad news.
The spearmint seems to be infested with some kind of pest, a number actually:
A number of leaves are speckled with mysterious white dots, which look like microspic islands of discoloration on the leaf or tiny albino dots without any discernible change in texture. Some of the leaves carry them without seeming affected by them in any way and others turn brown and wilt, both at various growth stages. I tried looking it up online but found no photos that quite resembled it; a lot of the explanations given to similarly described problems tend to diagnose this as some fungal infection, but I could find no consensus among the various remedies proposed and described. (I am hoping that a keen reader will weigh in with an opinion.)
When I inspected the leaves closely for any other problem indicators or clues to its cause, more bad news were in store: I discovered some whiteflies. In all the sources I consulted, none described my white dot problem as their effect or visual indicator. So, this is a separate problem.
Then, to add insult to injury, some of the lower leaves showed possible signs of a chewing bug.
I proceeded to remove and cut away all unhealthy discolored leaves, then I applied some natural repellant to drive away the whiteflies. However, when I was done, the plant looked too leggy. If there is any online consensus on spearmints, it is that, as a weed, they are nearly unstoppable. So I decided to take a more daring restoration route by cutting away the leaved stem crowns to restart the plant. I put the cut stems in a water filled jar hoping they would start to develop roots and could eventually be transplanted.
I wish I could blame thyme's plight on any external causes; I shamefully admit I inflicted it: I watered it at the same rate of its more acclimated and less water hungry neighbors, the basil and the rosemary - that is, too little. And it dried out.


Now, on to the good news, and gratefully, there are some.
The basil seems to be liking its new place: the leggier stems have relaxed and are starting to sprout budding leaves all over (some paleness however indicates need for nutrient supplement, which can be readily remedied - a post on feeding the plants will be published soon).
The resilient spearmint seems to be rebounding well: both the restarted plant, which is already starting to shoot tiny healthy buds, and the stem cuttings, which are still so strong and fresh I moved the jar outdoors.
When I went to the nursery looking to replace my dead thyme I got a suprise addition to the garden: the vendor offhandedly mentioned he had some sage, beautiful healing velvety sage (I will be posting an entry on the benefits of each of these herbs soon).
And I did replace the thyme: it is happily occupying the place of its predecessor, I am very carefully watering and observing it. I am tempted to post another photo of its elegant small leaves and show how healthy this one is being but I don't want to jinx this plant - yes, I'm Egyptian like that.


Last, a couple of advices: Don't give up on a plant before you have exhausted all possible remedies and restoration methods; most plants will surprise you with their resilience. And do water your thyme a lot.